Thursday, October 2, 2008

Charlotte - Heavens Gate Cult

Alien Rescue

One of the most unusual mass suicides of the last decade was the Californian-based cult Heaven's Gate, who believed that a spaceship flying behind the Hale-Bopp comet was coming to pick them up.

Hale-Bopp comet
Heaven's Gate waited 22 years for Hale-Bopp
Thirty-nine members died in their mansion in San Diego after eating poisonous pudding or apple sauce, washed down with vodka.

The bodies were discovered lying in bunk beds covered in purple shrouds, each with a five-dollar bill in their pocket and a small suitcase beneath the bed.

Founders Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles wrote on the cult's website that in their suicide they were 'graduating' to a higher level of life.

11 comments:

Dan said...

Have you all seen the videos that Applegate made? very seductive and completely insane. Would like to use this Talking Heads device in the show. From Dan

Dan said...

Where can we find the videos? I've tried searching but all I keep getting is the actress Christina Applegate

Dan said...

Who is this? Is there not a Heaven's gate link on the website post?

Dan said...

It's Charlotte, I hadn't posted a link but I have it up at the moment

http://www.wave.net/upg/gate/

Are you on about the head guy? His videos? They're on youtube.

Charlotte Oh I haven't got an email about making my own profile.

Dan said...

Just checked and it is under "useful websites" also you might want to try http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGVDZJAVdk&feature=related for a montage with Radiohead playing in background. Dan

Dan said...

Got it! Yes, I saw it earlier, it's great with all the different images displayed. I think we could really play around with lots of images from all sorts of sources. I'll have a look for some.

Charlotte

Leo said...

i dont like these people they really unnerve me =[

Charlotte said...

Could this perhaps be the light part of the show? How we were talking about not all being doom and gloom, this could be used in a very lighthearted manner...The aliens are coming for us!

I sorted out my account now!

Leo said...

maybe but still the very essence of the brainwashing he must of done unsettles me, its the bloody eyes!

Dan said...

Dan Says:
Yeah, it's a mix of the funny ridiculous - if you kill yourself you'll end up on a comet! - and the reality of people really committing suicide because of bonehead applegate and his brain washing ways (incidentally I do think he believed in his mad ideas - I don't think he was a con artist like David Kureish

Charlotte said...

I'm just reading a massive entry on them

http://www.time.com/time/reports/cult/heavensgate/heavensgate4.html

It's very detialed but there is apoint saying that not only did they travel the country looking for recruits, but the regimented system they have of 7.22pm having vitamins and not having full undisturbed sleep, they also all watched x files and star trek a lot!